Volunteer in our stores
Giving your time makes all the difference
We currently have vacancies available across all of our charity stores throughout mid Essex
Our Farleigh Hospice stores would not be successful without our fantastic volunteers. Can you give a few hours of your time each week to help at your local store, so Farleigh can continue to care for our patients and their families?
Why should you volunteer?
When you volunteer at a Farleigh store, you can:
- join a friendly team and meet new people
- use your own skills and experience to help others
- learn new work skills and gain valuable retail experience to add to your CV which can help you find a job or move on in your career
- develop your confidence and interpersonal skills
- support your local hospice.
How can you help at your local store?
As a retail volunteer, you will play an important role in the successful running of your store, under the direction and guidance of the Store Manager. Whether you are new to work or already have skills and experience, they will help you find the role that’s right for you.
This could include:
- sorting stock and putting it out on display
- keeping the store tidy, clean and well organised
- engaging with customers and serving them in a helpful and friendly way
- taking payments at the till
- promoting Gift Aid and sales campaigns to customers
- creating window and store displays
- communicating with your store managers, staff and fellow volunteers about what has sold and needs re-stocking
What skills do you need?
You don’t need any specific skills or experience to volunteer but a positive attitude and excellent customer service skills are an advantage.
Experience in retail would be helpful, but not necessary as we provide training.
How will Farleigh support and train you?
We offer ‘taster’ sessions in the store so you can see what volunteering for us will be like.
When you have decided to become a volunteer, you will be shown how to carry out your role and given full training, with support from your Store Manager.
You will also be shown how to comply with Farleigh’s policies and procedures including the health and safety policy, fire procedure, manual handling and general data protection regulation (GDPR) along with any other training as appropriate.
It is also extremely important that you maintain strict confidentiality at all times and adhere to Farleigh’s no smoking policy.
What are the minimum requirements?
You must be aged 17 years or older to volunteer in our stores.
To find out more about our volunteer vacancies, please ask in store or visit our volunteering vacancies page and enter the search term 'shop'.
If you require any more information, please email email@example.com or call 01245 933735.